Thursday 25 April 2013

Church V State

Alliance party leader David Ford has stepped aside from his position as a elder in his local Presbyterian Church. This is thought to be related to his stance on same sex marriage. Mr Ford obviously thought he could ride two horses at the same time. He is the leader of a liberal political party and a member of a not so liberal Church when it comes to the subject of same sex marriage. Mr Ford is also Justice Minister in the Six Counties which means he should not be discriminating against anyone because of there sexual orientation. Members of Mr Ford's church are not to happy with his pro gay marriage agenda and have made there feelings known. “I'm absolutely disgusted with David Ford," said one local man speaking to the Antrim Times newspaper who asked not to be named. "I'm also furious that the church has done nothing to address the deep concerns we have.
“I couldn't stomach sitting in the same room as him so I haven't been back for three months now. This isn't kicking a ball up in the air to start a row, this is principle - and I won't move from that.
“And I'm not alone. Others have already stopped going and more are preparing to do the same. I would say 20 to 30 people have pulled the plug or are intending to do so."

1 comment:

  1. I was unaware that Ford was a Church Elder and was surprised by the news. Considering that some Presbyterian congregations blur the line between laymen and clergymen in terms of their elders I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with someone with clerical-like duties in governance anywhere in Ireland. Paisley and the other "Revs" were bad enough but one hoped those days were behind us. It sheds some new light on the Alliance. That aside it's shameful he had to resign from his community position for his principled stand on equal rights regardless of sexual orientation.

    ReplyDelete